Thursday, December 23, 2010

Blog-o-sphere

I felt that it would be mildly appropriate, and notably pun-worthy, to add to the blogosphere while I am high in the troposphere. This is the first time that I have been able to enjoy wifi internet on an airplane, and I can tell you right now, it is awesome. Thank you Skynet... I mean Google, for your seemingly charitable contribution of free internet. I hope that when you activate all of our laptops with your secret Google-Signal and they grow legs and little laser-beam-mind-melting-death-rays to enslave humanity, you will remember the kind words I have spread on your behalf. If I see John Connor, I would be happy to report him directly to you.

This experience of in-flight internet just seems too good to be true for a cheapskate, back-row flier like myself. I've never flown first class, never used an in-flight phone, and never purchased any food (since the time I got food poisoning from the fish). So to have instant access to the world of facebook, gmail, and facebook makes me feel like I living in a lap of luxury. 

Sadly, my first reaction when I heard about the wifi (which is presented on a bumper sticker "Free Wifi!" on the exterior of the plane next to the entrance bulkhead) was that of relief. I have never been on a flight without thinking, even if just for a fleeting moment, that this might be my last days on earth. But now, if something goes tragically wrong with the plane, I will be able to at least send out a quick email, or maybe a facebook post like "Whelp... I had a good run!" followed shortly by "P.S. better watch out if you live in the Buffalo, NY area". Afterward, I would have a few remaining seconds to friend some random people, so they really freak out when they look my name up the next day.

But that's the alarmist in me speaking. After all, in Malcolm Richard's book "The Tipping Point", he outlines how many checks and balances go into keeping a plane safe. He points out that a total of 7 things need to go wrong for a plane to actually go down. For some people that seems like a lot. I would still feel better if that number were closer to 250, or if the plane were only made out of 6 pieces. "You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it? "

Happy Holidays everyone. Travel safely, and keep an eye on your laptops...

Feel like you missed a reference or two? Stop having such a productive life and watch more movies. Most notably: Terminator, Transformers, Airplane!, Armageddon

No comments: