Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama

You know, I hate to be the kill-joy devil's advocate, but I can't say that happiness was the first emotion that ran through me when I heard about Osama bin Laden's death. In fact I'm a little weirded out by the smiles of joy pasted across many of my fellow American's faces.

Now look. I know this guy did terrible, atrocious, unspeakable acts of violence. I understand this. And no, I don't live in New York, and I luckily didn't know anyone who died on 9/11. So please excuse what could be construed as emotional and patriotic detachment. I also wish the best and safest for the Americans who are serving abroad right now. I am a safe blogger because you are doing the dangerous work. That is the truth, and my beef is higher up than you. There are no bullets whizzing by the men who make the real decisions. There are no mortar blasts killing their friends and keeping them awake at night, shooting into the darkness. So please come home well. Thank you, truly.

And yes, I am American. And I did feel the vulnerable and soul-crushing collapse of security and confidence as the World Trade Center buildings collapsed almost ten years ago. I saw the faces of New Yorkers on CNN, covered in ash and fear, scrambling away from rubble and rolling clouds of death. I've seen the footage of workers jumping from their windows, out of the frying pan and into the fire, so that death would at least be on their terms. That day will forever be burned into my memory, and I STILL can't watch a documentary about the purported struggle on United flight 93 because the emotions are too real and raw.

Was Osama bin Laden responsible for this? Yes. And to that effect, he should be held accountable. But where does joy enter into the equation? Where does happiness? His death, if anything, should bring about a somber measure of closure to this grueling war of attrition we have been fighting on "terror". A collective sigh of relief.

If nothing else, I felt sad when I heard the news. In the complex game that is American foreign policy, the best we could do ended up being eye-for-an-eye Pashtun justice, with the same narrow-minded dogmatism of our enemies. We have responded to death with death, and I don't see any joy in that. I see retribution. I see the cold and calculated final balancing of a spreadsheet.

And what has this cost us? Where do we go from here has a country? Have the billions upon billions of dollars footed by taxpayers that have funded this international manhunt been worth it? There's no way of knowing. But it's hard not to wonder what would have been if that money was used elsewhere. It's hard not to think what our federal deficit would be right now if we hadn't taken the bait and plunged our resources into the middle east.

And now as a country we stand waist deep in the Afghanistan quagmire, one arm in Iraq, another in Pakistan, and our credit card is reaching its limit. Its hard not to say that this manhunt for the white whale has bested us. That's why I'm sad.

6 comments:

Stine said...

I whole-heartedly agree, however could you change the phrase "islamic justice" to something else. In talking to a student today, she reminded me of the repercussions our war on terror has had on muslims who do not identify with al-Qaeda extremists and terrorism practices. She said that many people in the U.S. do not understand that Islam is based on peace and most individuals who practice this religion do not want violence.

Ollie said...

That's a good point. And it looks like eye-for-an-eye is actually directly from the Torah. I'm sure it's in the bible and the Koran somewhere too... What I meant to say was Pashtun.

Randall Stevens said...

Nevermind that what we did was probably illegal. Imagine if a group of Iraqi commandos came to the US, shot George Bush in the face, and dumped him in the Atlanic.

I don't think we'd take that very well.

Sasquatch said...

Very well said. I thought I was the only one who questioned happiness at someone's death.

Lyfé said...

Good post, you express your viewpoint clearly. Check this blog out, it is very similar to your post. Subscribe if possible. Thanks. ~From the author, Lyfé

Shilpakar Nandeshwar said...

Good.....Nice Post

send free unlimited sms anywhere in India no registration and no log in
http://freesandesh.in