Friday, February 8, 2008

Hmmm...

I just wrote, and then deleted, an entire paragraph about my morning routine of opening up this bank every morning. But I deleted it. For two very good reasons.

1) It compromises not only my safety, but the security of the bank.

2) As Tank so tactfully stated in The Matrix, it was some major boring shiaaat.

But, as I sit here on my $100 leather teller stool, book in hand, coffee next to me, sun peaking up over the horizon, with my ipod plugged into my personal stereo, I can't help but think that this gig aint so bad. I do have only one tiny, little, nagging beef with this whole setup.

It has to do with this ten foot long window that separates me from customers/weather/gun-weilding-bankrobbers. When the securities equipment installer was setting up our vault a few months ago, I asked him about the 'bullet resisting' capabilities of my little fishbowl.
"Well that glass there is level two protection" he said very matter of factly. I asked if it went any higher and he told me that level three was the highest. And it could block pretty much anything aside from armor piercing bullets.
Hmm, I though.
"So what does my level two glass do?"
Apparently, I learned, it will stop the bullets from weaker firearms, but anything heavy duty would go right through.
"It will slow the bullet down of course" he said reassuringly.
"So ducking is still the best policy?"
"Yes."
Hmm. I thought again. And then I tried, because I am very empathetic by nature, to understand the thought process behind buying 'level two' glass. I was picturing the bank president standing there talking to the general contractor.

Contractor: Have you made a choice on the armored glass for the teller window?
Prez: Well, do you have a level one?
C: That would just be straight glass, which we don't recommend.
P: And level two blocks most bullets?
C: Yes, but we recommend level three, its what most of our clien....
P (interrupting): And how much is this level three?
C: $100 more.
P: Hmmmm.
C: That could save someone's life.
P: Hmmm. (followed by an awkward pause)

At least that's how I play it out in my head. The same head that now ducks when a customer reaches for their glove box.

No comments: