Monday, August 18, 2008

Lost In Translation

I think that it's getting harder and harder to meet people from New York. Not that it is far away, or that it's irreconcilably different than Boston, but because of the language barrier.

I happened to meet a New Yorker just the other week through a mutual friend. We were at a bar, and we were introduced. "Hi" I said, and offered my hand to shake.
"Hi" they said.
But I heard "Jeter." A strange thing to say upon introduction, so I said,
"What?"

"Hi" repeated the stranger.
I heard "A-Rod."

I looked over at our communal friend who didn't seem notice.
"My name's Ollie"
"My name's Pat"
I hear: Aaron Boone, Tino Matinez, who's your daaaady!
"Let's not talk baseball!"
"What??"
I hear: Buckner!!!

"THAT'S IT!" I yell, and dive across the table taking a swing. Luckily I miss, because I would have felt really bad if I connected. She was only out to have a good time.

No comments: