Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life Planning On A Sunday

I have found that most of the motivated people in my life, have in some way, found inspiration through a mentor. This mentor is someone that they can see themselves being in the next 20 years, or someone who is happy and successful. A doctor, or a manager, or an athlete. And if you have that person in your life, you can follow their footsteps, and if you're very lucky, you might be where they are one day. It's a beacon that lights your way. They are a model unto your system. A method to your daily routine. And I have yet to find such a person. 

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people out there who I would like to be. But I don't have that one singular person picked out where I could say, "damn, I'd like to walk around in his size tens."

So I figured that, in order to fix my motivation problem, I first need to address my mentor problem. So I wracked my brain for all of about, thirty seconds, and came up with my top three potential mentors. They are listed in no particular order.

1)Rob Dyrdek: Pro skateboarder, and co-creator of Rob & Big, Fantasy Factory, restaurantier, motelier, and business mogul.

Reason for wanting to be Rob: Made millions skateboarding by age 18, and used those very millions to avoid responsibility... for the rest of his life. If it's not fun or exciting, he doesn't do it.

What's holding me back: Lack of skateboarding talent, care-free outlook on life, and large black bodyguard.








2) Random Boston Taxi-Cab driver: unknown bio information.

Reasons for wanting to be...what's his name: When drunk Ashley asked what's his name if he liked being a taxi-cab driver, he just replied "I have accepted this as my lot in life". Wow. Now that's got to be the most centered, self-aware dude out there. Or he's just terribly depressed. It's hard to tell. But that's what adds to the mystique of...what's his name?

What's holding me back: Citizenship status, and a stable background devoid of strife and civil war.







3) Judd Apatow: Writer/director of Freaks and Geeks, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked-Up, Superbad,  and the new genre of 'Bromance' films. Was also roommates with Adam Sandler early in his career.

Reasons for wanting to be Judd: Get paid to write jokes about dudes farting into each other's pillows. Plus he has a hot wife.

What's holding me back:  Not crazy about LA. Also, not crazy about the name "Judd".

















No comments: