Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Juno

I just saw Juno and it sent me reeling back my old ambitions of being a writer. It was fantastic. I was completely in love with Juno; this beautiful, brash, strong, genius of a girl. I was a little weirded out by the fact that she was playing a sixteen year old, but felt a little better when Jason Bateman's character echoed my 'pedophellic' yearnings (Ellen Page is 20, so relax).

The movie did everything that a great movie should do. Great direction, cinematography, and acting. I was moved. I'm not sure how I feel about Rainn Wilson's cameo. Actually, it was awesome, Rainn kicks ass.

Being moved, and also being in this incredibly introspective and moldable state of my life, I thought to myself...'I want to create something like that. I want to move people.' Since I have been in high school, I have thought that being a writer would be the shit. The idea has ebbed in and out of my ambitions, sometimes taking the forefront of my 'life goals'. At times it has been completely abandoned, or at least put on the afterburner (the 'when I retire I can always work on a novel' afterburner). So here I sit again, precariously posed between a life of safety (corporate promise) with possible happiness (and maybe adventure!), or this life of a 'dream', with no certainties, no concrete goals or structure, and no promise of anything actual. I feel sick. This is the tortuous process I go through. Every night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you, man. We're eye to eye, except I 'prognosticated' a three point victory for the New York Giants over the Undefeated 2007-2008 New England Patriots (I'm not sure if that's the correct usage, but you get the point: I picked the Giants. NFC WOOH!)