Monday, June 16, 2008

Humor Me

'They' say that you are either funny, or you are not. Maybe that's true, but if that implies that a sense of humor is a natural trait, I disagree. It is not a gene that can be isolated, or a trait that is passed on from generation to generation. Can it be learned? No.

What humor is, in it's most simplest form, is a self preservation mechanism. A tool, learned at an early age, that lets the person cope with life. Let me explain.

I recently sat on my back porch while watching my brother flail on a torn apart trampoline. Hold on, let me go back further. We HAD a trampoline in our backyard, a perfect cure from boredom, mosquitoes, and untwisted ankles. A trampoline that my mother had continuously sworn to my brothers and I, that if ONE more person got hurt on that thing, she would take a knife and cut it in half.

So she did. Almost. She used scissors, but it had the same effect. So what we have now is a rectangular metal frame in our backyard with two flaps of trampoline hanging lifelessly to the grass. It's like something out of the movie Halloween, all we need is a bloodstain for effect.

So my brother Max, after seeing what our mom had done to his favorite outdoor bouncing device, had two options. One: He could shout and scream and be very angry. OR, Two: He could run outside grab on to the metal frame, and start bouncing sideways on whatever spring-connected fabric was left, flailing himself all about screaming "YOU CAN'T TAKE MY FUN AWAY FROM ME!!!"

Now see? That's funny. I was laughing at least. Its either laugh or explode. I'm convinced of it.

3 comments:

Sarahj said...

I'm laughing.

Anonymous said...

hilarious, max is the shit

Anonymous said...

Okay knowing your brothers (and that one in particular) it did make me laugh out loud.

We'll miss you out here in the Midwest, though. Say hi to Mass. for me!