Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Exact Man?

Research is finished. The easiest part of the job. After spending the past week in front of the computer, I can say that I have seen every episode of 30 Rock, NBC.com commercials included. Every one of Jack Donaghy's snappy conservative quips, Liz Lemon's self depreciating food jokes, Jenna's back door self-compliments, Tracy Jordan's insane soliloquies, Kenneth Parcell's holier-than-though-art lectures, and Frank's "we need a character to just be dumb" moments.

It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun. But I haven't worked out in a week, and I think I need a shower. So after that shower, what is the next step you say? How does a writer take what he has learned from watching, and transform himself into an integral part of the creative process?

Reading maketh a full man, conference a ready man, and writing an exact man.


I read that somewhere in the library of congress above a door frame in the marble adorned corpulence that was the building. A quote, that with a little grammar help, makes a very valid point. To watch something or read something is to get an idea. But to write something, or create something, that is to fully understand it. But that shit is hard!

So I'll sleep tonight with the 30 Rock DVD case under my pillow and let osmosis take its effect (it's science, you can't argue with it). I'll get up tomorrow, see if my brothers ADD medication will work for me, go to Starbucks, and see what ideas I can crank out while pretending I'm not checking out that cute girl in the corner that I don't have the balls to talk to. Damn, I'm not going to get anything done.

No comments: