Thursday, July 3, 2008

Captivating Reading Material

There is nothing really for me to write about today, but I am sitting here doing nothing anyway, so I might as well practice. I just read "Sit Ubu Sit" by Gary David Goldberg, the writer and creator of Family Ties, who also wrote this and that and blah blah blah.

After reading his numerous credits I started to get intimidated, and was wondering how hard it would be to create so many successful ideas. But the number of his publications didn't nearly scare me much as how fast he could write them. He explained that, after a while, he was pumping out at least one episode per week. Damn. I'm hoping that after the first couple, I will fall into a cadence, and be able to follow a pattern that simplifies and streamlines the process.

While I was at the library yesterday, I was glancing at the rows of mystery books in front of me. I was supposed to be writing, but its to hard to concentrate when there are so many exciting and wondrous things going on all around me. Like bookshelves.

So I get up and start looking at the book bindings, and I notice that there is this guy Peters, who has written a whole shelf, a whole shelf. Jesus. This is the moment that I realized some people can just crank out story after story after story.

This was also the moment I realized that I wasn't writing anymore, but standing up, looking at books.

Sign #1 you have ADHD: you don't realize you have digressed from your task for at least five minutes. I'm surprised I lasted through the SATs without walking over to the window, all glassy-eyed, and started mumbling 'pretty birds, pretty birds'.

Maybe If I get myself some Adderall, I could have a shelf too, or at least finish this spec script...

No comments: