Friday, January 2, 2009

Don't open that door.... don't do it! AAAHHHH!!!

It's been a little while, but I've been pretty busy - moving all my stuff from LA, to San Carlos, to Boston, and then to Minneapolis. I should be here for AT LEAST a few months. Just kidding, I can't afford to move again for a little while.

After a complete blow-out party at our house for NYE, a bunch of us staggered over to the Riverview Theater to see 'Let The Right One In' at 11:00 PM last night.

And despite the fact that I was dead tired, the movie was starting late, and it paced at near Benjamin Button-speed... I loved it. A Swedish love story between two twelve-year olds, where one was a vampire. And it turned out to be one of my favorite Vampire movies ever.

So.

I decided to start a 'Best Of' list. It may end here, or it may catch on and move onto different categories. We'll just have to see how long my motivation lasts.

Best Vampire Movie:
'Let The Right One In'


While up against the heavy-hitting Nosferatu, and Bram Stroker's, the Swedish version was raw and creepy - and creates suspense based upon what you can't see, not with CGI and 'cheap surprises'. Awesome Vampire movie award is a tie between Blade, and Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.






Best Werewolf Movie:
'Teen Wolf'

I've only seen about ten minutes of this movie, and it was the scene where MJ Fox was a high school werewolf doing back-flips on the basketball court and slamming some hard-core dunks. Michael J. Fox dunking!! Apparently wolves are good at basketball. Underworld is the only other decent werewolf movie I have seen.








Best Ghost Movie:
'The 6th Sense'



This category is far more saturated than the other two, with the strongest runner-ups being Ghostbusters and The Shining. In 'Sense', writer/director M. Night Shyamalan peaked too early in his career - and has been since given free reign to pump out whatever he wants into the theaters. And for those of you who saw this with me in theater, and insist constantly that I didn't understand the ending... I hate you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's all good, it's alright, everybody get laaaaaaaaaaaaaaid tonight! he came from heaven, two stakes in his hands....

best movie ever made. also best title track ever written.