Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Boycott

I am going on the record to say that I am not protesting the Olympics in China. I was just invited to a facebook group asking me to join in their boycott of the games. I can't begin to understand the sophomoric and arrogant logic behind that. Support or ignore the US in the Olympic games if you want, but as a spectator, and a non-olympian, or even a government, you aren't in the position to boycott the games.

The decision should be left completely to the athletes. The athletes who have worked their whole lives for a chance at this competition. People who have sacrificed more than you or I have for a passion and a chance at greatness. I would be incredibly moved if Michael Phelps got up on the stand after Olympic Qualifiers and said that he would be obstaining from the games, and would disregard his chances for each his gold medals to show his support of Tibet and his distaste for the China's policies. I would be even more impressed if a no-name (poor) athlete did the same thing. But if Phelps did it, it would catch on, and soon other athletes from different countries would follow. It would be one of the biggest sports announcements ever.

Keep in mind that by boycotting the games, you are leveraging a symbol of international cooperation and togetherness for a polical statement. A statement that may be valid, or just in intention, but misplaced in reality. Only those effected by the boycott should be allowed to make that decision.

That's what I think, at least.

1 comment:

Colin Rodger said...

One could make the argument that everyone is effected by the boycott, not just the athletes. That said, I completely agree with you. I would be so angry if my government made the decision that I couldn't compete, unless it was over safety concerns. If an athlete has sacrificed everything to make it to that one big event that I think the decision belongs to them.

There are other things that athletes can do to make a statement. Like Tommy Smith and John Carlos in the Mexico City Olympics in '68. When they won medals and the anthem was being played they bowed their heads and raised their fists (wearing a black glove) to signify their support of black athletes and the movement to create equality in the US Sporting establishment. Yes, I did just finish a book on the subject.

Anyway, that, to me, is much more of a statement than not showing up at all.